Goa Power minister Pandurang Madkaikar’s condition is still very critical. As of writing on Saturday afternoon, he is still on ventilator and has not come out of coma at all since he was admitted to the hospital on Monday 4th June after suffering a serious brain stroke in his hotel room in Mumbai. He is unable to breathe on his own and has been on ventilator for the last 12 days, doctors attending to him said, adding that Madkaikar will need a really big miracle to even get back to being ‘partly normal’.
According to medical sources at the hospital, one side of Madkaikar is completely paralyzed, and it could take months for any signs of improvement as the neural networks of the body and brain including the nervous system take very long to regenerate and heal, if at all. It is not sure if Madkaikar will retain his memory. The human brain can regenerate, but it rarely happens. He will have to be on wheelchair – definitely for quite some time, a doctor told IndiaScoops.com.
Doctors at the hospital say he suffered a very serious brain stroke and there is a possibility of part paralysis or permanent damage to a part of the brain resulting in hampered cognitive functions. A senior doctor attending to Madkaikar said, “We are still unable to gauge the damage to his brain and body. Sometimes, even if there is any damage, some damage is temporary and rectifies itself over time. The body and particularly the human brain has a great power to heal itself. What he needs right now are the good wishes and prayers of his people and maybe a miracle too!”
Power minister Pandurang Madkaikar underwent surgery at Mumbai’s Kokilaben hospital on Tuesday 5th June after suffering a brain stroke. “The operation was successful and doctors had put him under observation for 72 hours,” health minister Vishwajit Rane had then told TOI.
Sources said that Madkaikar was travelling and was in a hotel in Mumbai when he had the stroke. Hotel staff shifted him to hospital, and later, his brother and sister-in-law traveled to Mumbai to be with him.
Madkaikar had been in the firing line over the last few weeks over massive power cuts across the coastal state.
Bharatiya Janata Party and Congress leaders had complained that several areas in North Goa had suffered blackouts for hours after the power department shut off electricity to relocate high tension transmission lines from near a real estate plot to favour a builder.
Admitting to the negligence on the part of his department officials, he apologized to the people of the taluka for power outages and the shutdown that lasted for over 20 hours.
“I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience that was caused to the people. I assure that this won’t happen again as the maintenance work has perfectly been executed…. it will now avert all major power interruptions in Tiswadi,” Madkaikar had said while speaking to The Navhind Times over the phone.
Madkaikar said that this work was outsourced to a Bangalore-based company, which found it difficult to complete the work within the limited time.
Responding to allegations that the work had been undertaken to facilitate two big housing projects, Madkaikar had said, “We know what are we doing, and for whom. We cannot help any builders at the cost of government and the public. The people, who are alleging that the work had been undertaken to help the builders, are frustrated… I can understand their frustration as they had to suffer.”